Forget the cookies! Go for this naturally sweet and healthy adult beverage and get ready for some holiday cheer.
A perfect adult beverage for the holiday season, my Hot and Healthy Snickerdoodle Elixir will satiate your craving for something sweet without adding any unnecessary holiday food guilt. Made with Licor 43—a fresh blend of 43 citrus extracts and botanicals—it needs no added sweetener. The citrus, floral, sweet and botanical ingredients of Licor 43, mixed with superfood Maca, cinnamon, MCT oil and coconut milk create a powerful beverage that calms our nerves and balances our bodies.
Now who doesn’t need that during the stressful holiday season?
Plus…there’s a “secret ingredient” in this beverage that packs a nutritional punch to help boost your immune system. That makes this a win-win.
Healthy Snickerdoodle Elixir
- Prep Time3 min
- Cook Time2 min
- Total Time5 min
- Yield1 beverage
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon maca root powder
- 1/4 teaspoon mushroom powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbs MCT oil
- 8.5 ounces unsweetened coconut milk, Aroy-d brand is best
- 1 ounce Licor 43
Preparing the elixir
Pour nut milk into a large heat proof glass container such as a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup.
Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes—watch closely to make sure it doesn’t foam over.
Add the dry ingredients to the hot milk and stir with a whisk until blended well. Maca likes to clump, even after it’s been blended. Whisk for a good minute to even better, throw in your blender.
Pour Licor 43 and MCT oil in a large mug and top with hot nut milk.
Whisk again to blend.
Sip, sip, enjoy!
To be even more FODMAP compliant, mix fresh almond milk 1:1 with cold water and heat.
- Mushroom Powder: Secret immune boosting ingredient! Mushrooms provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D, proteins, and fiber. Historically, mushrooms are important for their healing capacities and properties in traditional medicine and have been utilized to reduce the likelihood of cancer invasion and metastasis. Mushrooms act as antibacterial, immune system enhancer and as a cholesterol lowering agent. I use Power Potion which is a blend of 7 different types of mushrooms, but there are many good brands on the market. Many co ops offer single serve packets as well!
- Maca Root Powder: Considered a potent adaptogen, maca has been demonstrated to have a positive effect on male and female sexual function, erectile dysfunction, sperm counts, female reproductive function, peri and post menopausal function, memory, depression, anxiety, energy and also metabolic syndrome. It’s antioxidant and anti-aging effects and cardiovascular conditions are also well documented. There are four types of maca—each grown and cultivated at different altitudes in the Peruvian Andes—with each having different physiological functionalities. Try to find a blend of all four maca’s if possible; purple, yellow, red and black. I use Anthony’s and love the taste.
- MCT Oil: Clinical studies have shown that consumption of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) leads to greater energy expenditure than does consumption of long-chain triglycerides. Such studies suggest that MCT consumption may be useful for weight management. 100% MCT oil, derived from coconuts, is easily absorbed and quickly converted into sustained energy rather than stored as fat. Make sure you buy a high-quality brand.